User Testing

July 16, 2011 § Leave a comment

Last week, I had a chance to test the site to 4 different people. The feedbacks that they gave me was insightful. First thing is, I need to make the tagline bigger, it’s currently a little bit too small. Then, 2 of the tester didn’t notice the filter tool on the Stories page, so, I think I need to make it more noticeable.

Advertisements

Things are progressing

July 16, 2011 § Leave a comment

So, from the last time, we finally managed to get the age right, however, instead of using an age field and do a php calculation from the birthdate field, what we do is just have one birthday field and the age is a calculation from that birthdate field alone, so this way, user will only need to fill out their birthday and their age will be calculated. The problem with this though, it’s not going to be searchable by the query and not having age as a taxonomy vocabularies means that it’s not available for it to be filtered. Talking about filtering system, I finally decided to just use the view filter instead of custom search because custom search needs a value entered in before giving up results and I don’t want that. So, the view filter works perfectly fine. However, during playing around with the views filter and trying to get the user’s taxonomy, I realized that the taxonomy vocabularies that are attached to the user are not working. They worked for nodes, but somehow when I attached them to users, it just won’t find it, although it appears like it’s attaching to the user. >_< This is a big downer because it basically eliminates the more advanced “people search” where user can search other users specifically with the same surname or roots. My advisor tried to figure it out and tried finding a solution online, but somehow it seems that it’s just a bug >_< because it’s suppose to work. I don’t know if we’re going to find a workaround on that in time before I have to present.

Another headache was the styling of user profile. We somewhat had it resolved, but it still need a lot of work. We actually wrote a bunch of print command on the template for styling it. Then there’s also problem of having the content of a current user visible when they’re seeing other people’s profile, but we somehow managed to resolve that with contextual filter.

Resolving Slideshows and Age calculations

June 21, 2011 § Leave a comment

The slideshow finally works! I haven’t tried it on the live site yet, but I’ve tried it on sandbox site and we finally managed to get it to work! It must have been a quirk on Drupal somehow, because all we did was to change the format in Views module. We still need to resolve the birthday-to-age calculation php code though. We did a rule using rules module, but somehow it’s still not working yet. The way that I found on the net requires me do do another field and I don’t want users to have to fill out their birthday twice.

Summary of Drupal/technical directed study

June 21, 2011 § Leave a comment

At the end of the directed study, we were able to establish the live site with basic functioning features.  Throughout the semester, we worked on getting the necessary modules and starting to skin/theme the site. We also establish a few sandbox site for experiment and testing purposes. In the beginning I come across certain difficulties because I need to restart the live site a few times because of crashes. However, we manage to establish a stable live site. There are certain modules that still need some work and tweaking in order to get them to work according to what I want. We also figured out several workarounds to get over some technical difficulties.

 

 

Summary of Visual Design directed study

June 21, 2011 § Leave a comment

From this directed study, I’m able to resolve the look & feel and also style for my thesis. After a few name change exploration, we decided to change the project name to just simply “roots” with a tagline of “connecting overseas Chinese through stories”. Roots seems the name that’s resounding more to the concept of the project, so we settle on that. The look and feel of the project is clean and contemporary with a hint of traditional culture. So, we narrow down our color templates. We also work on the logo. The final logo that was chosen is made out of two Chinese characters that means “China” or “Chinese” interlocking each other, symbolizing the concept of Chinese connecting with each other. We also decided on the typeface and the icons.

Additional drupal modules

March 29, 2011 § Leave a comment

http://drupal.org/project/front

http://drupal.org/project/views_slideshow

http://heartbeat.menhireffect.be/page/documentation

http://drupal.org/project/homebox

http://drupal.org/project/debut_event

 

Getting somewhere~

March 29, 2011 § Leave a comment

I’m heading to the right direction! My adviser and I are still working towards a visual look and feel of the site. We’re currently trying to design the homepage. We got a logo, though it still need to be refine just a little bit, the colors palette are also set. For next week, I’m going to be more detailed on the homepage mockup and also have two different color for the headers.